FOR YOUR URGENT ATTENTION
This past Sunday, 15 March 2020, President Cyril Ramaphosa declared the Covid-19 pandemic a national disaster, and immediately implemented stringent measures in order to limit the spread of the virus, including restricting unnecessary gatherings of persons and the closure of schools. Subsequently, a number of other private and public institutions, including the South African Courts and Judicial System, have ordered restrictions to control their own environments.
We believe that MRR has an obligation to our clients and staff to play our part in the control of this pandemic, however we will do so while continuing to serve you and provide whatever assistance may be possible. Please note that:
- The Court System is already experiencing limited functionality, due to the implementation of a rotational system of Court employees and social distancing of Judges and Magistrate’s, and we anticipate that ongoing matters are likely to experience delays and new matters may be issued but not heard within the following months;
- The Deeds Office continues to function at this point, however we may expect a reduction in capacity which may delay bond registrations and transfers of properties;
Our office has and will continue to put into place contingencies to address the situation as it develops:
- We have affected sanitising routines internally;
- We are implementing video conferencing consultations, which can be scheduled at any time and on request;
- In certain instances, some of our staff will work remotely.
Even in the event of a full quarantine, we are able to continue to render our services to our clients electronically and telephonically. Clients may at any time contact the relevant heads of department on their emails:
- Commercial and Litigation: Brian Macgregor (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jason Stuart (email@example.com).
- Labour and Correspondent Matters: Luthando Mente (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Business Advisory and Contracts: Jordan Smith (email@example.com).
- Family and Matrimonial: Aimee Foce (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Conveyancing: Antoinette Swanepoel (email@example.com) and Taryn Murphy (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We are also preparing advisory notices, which will publish in due course, addressing some of the considerations of force majeure, in the context of expected contractual or payment defaults, and the general legal implications of the pandemic.
Please stay safe during this unprecedented challenge and do not hesitate to contact us if you require legal services.
MALHERBE RIGG & RANWELL INC.